Pancake Tuesday, or Shrove Tuesday is a traditional day before Ash Wednesday when all the gorgeous ingredients in the house would be used up before the 40 long days of lent. Pancakes would have been the easiest recipe to use up everything including eggs, butter, and milk. We still celebrate this tradition today and some of the members of Created in Cavan have come together to share their recipes and favourite toppings with you. Get the apron on, and the frying pan out and try some of these amazing recipes and ingredients for yourself!
Virginia Cookery School Old Style Pancakes with Mary Ellens Meadow Cordial
Ingredients: Makes 5 pancakes
115g plain flour
1 egg (Margaret’s eggs are the best!)
285mls of milk
A little oil to fry
- Sieve the flour into a bowl and add the salt
- Make a well and add your egg
- Add 40mls of milk and start mixing a little flour from the side of your well.
- Work more flour into the batter as you mix the centre
- Add a splash of milk gradually until half your milk is added to the mixture.
- Beat against the side of the bowl to break up any lumps
- Blend in the remainder of the milk
- Heat a non-stick pan and brush lightly with vegetable oil. Wipe off any excess oil.
- Pour in enough mixture to cover the bottom of the pan. Leave for 45 seconds and then turn.
- Leave the other side on for approx. 60 seconds.
- Keep covered until you are ready to serve.
Finola’s favourite toppings include caster sugar, lemon and Mary Ellens Meadow Cordial to dip!
Nevin Maguires Fluffy American style pancakes
150g of self-raising flour
¼ teaspoon of baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 egg (Try SeanNua Farms amazing eggs)
250mls of buttermilk
- Sieve all your dry ingredients into the bowl together
- Add in your egg and buttermilk
- Add in a capful of vanilla extract
- Mix all of the ingredients together
- Grate in some lime zest
- Let the mixture rest for an hour or so.
- Add in a ladle of mixture, and keep on a low heat
- Flip it over after the edges turn golden
- Add your favourite toppings and enjoy!
Pancake toppings Created in Cavan
Long gone are the days of just having sugar and lemon as our pancake toppings. There is so much choice out there now to add flavour to your pancakes all year around.
Try a drizzle of Carrickfern honey. You won’t find a purer honey in Ireland and it’s a cupboard essential in Cavan!
For the adults why not a drizzle of Coole swan cream liqueur to treat yourself on Pancake Tuesday!
Spread some gorgeous pineapple and malibu jam from Moran’s Megajam all over your pancakes for really tropical taste!
Add a bit of crunch with some pecans, walnuts or almonds from the Good Crop Company spread over the pancakes.
The possibilities are endless with the array of amazing food producers in Cavan. If you are felling a bit lazy then check out the pancakes boxes available for Dinkins Bakery this Tuesday also!
Let us know if you have used any of the recipes above and you can share your pancake flipping with is @createdincavan
To sign up to our newsletter to keep up to date with all the news from Created in Cavan just fill in our email form here.